The Vereniging voor de Effectenhandel
For 120 years, the Vereniging voor de Effectenhandel (Amsterdam Stock Exchange Association) was a decisive factor for securities trading in the Netherlands. On May 17th 1876 the association was launched as a result of the merger of the Algemeen Beurs-Comité and the Effecten-Sociëteit. At first, the Vereniging was solely responsible for organizing and maintaining the securities exchange in Amsterdam, which was by far the most important one of the Netherlands. In 1972, an amendment of the statutes enabled the association to operate on a national level. Now, traders outside Amsterdam could also join. Many of them did, which ultimately led to the end of the securities exchanges of Rotterdam and The Hague.
Immediately after the establishment, a private exchange building for securities trading was a top priority. In 1867, when it was decided to replace the Beurs van Zocher, a debate on the requirements for the new stock exchange followed, which continued for many years. The separate securities floor in the Beurs van Berlage that was completed in 1903, ultimately turned out to be inadequate. The Vereniging started to prepare for a private stock exchange building – against the wishes of the municipal authorities – that was completed in 1913: Beursplein 5.
In the seventies of the 20th century, the Vereniging took the lead in establishing an options exchange in Amsterdam. This was realized in 1978. The European Options Exchange became an independent association. Along with the options exchange, the Vereniging was also involved in the establishment of the Securities Board of the Netherlands (Stichting Toezicht Effectenverkeer) in 1989. In 1996, the Vereniging and the options exchange association demutualized and merged into a single holding company: Amsterdam Exchanges.