An important task of the Algemeen Beurs-Comité (General Exchange Committee) was to regulate securities trading on behalf of the two existing trade associations. A first step was the introduction of this Reglement voor de Handel in Publieke Fondsen (Rules for Trade in Public Funds) in 1857.
Silver scale model of the Beurs van Zocher (1845-1903). The growth of securities trading in this second Merchants Exchange in Amsterdam resulted in a joint endeavor of the securities associations to improve the organization of trade.
Collaborating stock exchange organizations in Amsterdam
In 1856, the Collegie tot Nut des Obligatiehandels and the Nieuwe Handel-Sociëteit jointly founded the Algemeen Beurs-Comité voor Publieke Fondsen (General Exchange Committee for Public Funds). From the two original associations, members elected a board consisting of twelve people. The new Beurs-Comité set itself the goal of bringing order and regularity to securities trading, promoting the interests of securities trading, and protecting the Dutch fund holders. They pursued these goals energetically, as a set of Regulations for Trade in Public Funds was already put into effect on January 1, 1857, and it was used for decades afterwards. The technical cooperation between the Collegie and the Nieuwe Handel-Sociëteit proved to be so fruitful that the wish arose to collaborate in other areas. The original organizations were disbanded on May 1, 1857, and the remaining activities were continued by the ‘Effecten-Sociëteit (Securities Society).
The Algemeen Beurs-Comité now had the task of protecting Dutch securities trading and representing it abroad. Shortly after its establishment, the London stock exchange was contacted to discuss the interests of Dutch fund holders abroad. The Effecten-Sociëteit was the actual organization of securities traders, and it focused on the price list as well as the trade on the Amsterdam stock exchange. Despite the good results of the cooperation, managing work between two organizations was not ideal. On May 7, 1874, a commission chaired by L.H. Weetjen, president of the Algemeen Beurs-Comité, initiated an examination of a full merger. Eventually, on May 17, 1876, one exchange organization was presented: the Vereniging voor de Effectenhandel ( Amsterdam Stock Exchange Association).